This is the second of our quarterly updates sharing the work of MAP since the development of our new priorities, Removing Barriers to Learning, Parental Partnership, Careers & Employability and Transition is available to read here.
If you would like to be involved with the work MAP are doing, please contact us at email@example.com
SCHOOLS NorthEast Academies Conference, St James’ Park – Thursday 10th May 2018
MAP PSA Network Event, Acklam Green Centre – Tuesday 15th May 2018
Following on from the success of MAP’s first PSA Network Event, our second event will take place from 1.00 – 3.00 pm (registration from 12.40 pm) on Tuesday 15th May at Acklam Green Centre, Stainsby Road. During the event there will be an ‘education specific’ Early Help Briefing by John Scadden and Emma Wright. To confirm your attendance please email Claire_Risker@middlesbrough.gov.uk. MAP’s first PSA Network Newsletter can be viewed here.
Employment Event, Easterside Hub – Friday 18th May 2018
An employer / provider event is to be held at the Easterside Hub from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm on Friday 18th May. For more information see the attached flyer here.
Middlesbrough Leadership Hub Network Meeting, Middlesbrough Community Learning – Friday 18th May 2018
The third Middlesbrough Leadership Hub Network Meeting is taking place on Friday 18th May 2018 from 1.00 – 3.00 pm. For more details and to sign up, please click here.
DfE Language Proficiency Codes, Ayresome Primary School – Monday 21st May 2018
Ayresome Primary School are offering a workshop designed to help schools navigate the DfE language proficiency codes. Further details and how to book a place on the workshop are available here.
MAP Careers Leaders Network Meeting, Middlesbrough College – Thursday 24th May 2018
The second Careers Leaders Network Meeting is taking place on Thursday 24th May 2018 at Middlesbrough College.
Apprenticeship Open Event, Middlesbrough Town Hall – Thursday 31st May 2018
Middlesbrough Council are hosting an Apprenticeship Open Event from 10 am to 3.30 pm on Thursday 31st May at Middlesbrough Town Hall. A flyer for the event is attached here.
FREE Talk about Alcohol Education Programme, My Place – Monday 11th June 2018
The Alcohol Education Trust is offering a 1½ hour Talk About Alcohol teacher training session, looking at PSHE approved resources for use in Secondary Schools. The FREE programme will take place on Monday 11th June 2018 from 3.30 – 5.00 pm., with refreshments being served from 3pm. For more details click here.
Next Steps … A Conference for NQTs in the North East – Wednesday 20th June 2018
This is a joint conference organised by 12 North East Regions, and is being held on Wednesday 20th June 2018 from 9.00 am – 4.00 pm at Middlesbrough Football Club. Guest speakers include Sir John Jones and Hywell Roberts and the cost for the day is £75 per delegate. To reserve your place email firstname.lastname@example.org. Flyer for the event can be found here.
Inclusive Teaching & Learning for EAL Leaners: Building up your Toolkit, Middlesbrough Football Club – 26th & 27th June 2018
FREE conferences for all Middlesbrough schools, delivered by Osiris Educational will be held at Middlesbrough Football Club. Primary EAL day will take place on Tuesday 26th June (see flyer here) and the Secondary EAL day will take place on Wednesday 27th June (see flyer here). Sign up now to guarantee your free place by emailing email@example.com
Middlesbrough College Safeguarding and Welfare Day – Wednesday 4th July 2018
Middlesbrough College are holiday a safeguarding and welfare day to strengthen their links to support our most vulnerable students. For further details click here.
Understanding Islam for the new GCSE Course, Acklam Grange School – Thursday 12th and Friday 13th July 2018
Acklam Grange School tare hosting a 2-day course in preparation for the new Understanding Islam GCSE. It is an opportunity for teachers across the region to learn about Islam via a bespoke course designed to suit the requirements of the new GCSE, which is being delivered by Dr Chris Hewer. For booking details please click here.
Emergency Provision in Middlesbrough
Details of emergency provision support which is available to families in Middlesbrough is available here.
Welfare Benefit Advice
Free and confidential help and advice is available via the Community Hub advice service. Details of weekly venues and timings are attached here.
Middlesbrough Free Food List
A timetable of dates, times and venues where free food is available across Middlesbrough is available here.
It’s Your Right to Claim, benefits check sessions
An opportunity for local residents to ensure they are in receipt of the right benefits. For locations and times of local session click here.
Early Help Briefings
John Scadden has arranged some ‘education specific’ Early Help briefings, offering a short briefing on the local Early Help offer – including a 30 minute opportunity for questions/answers. The sessions are for anyone from school who you may feel this will benefit, including Governors and details of the sessions can be found here.
Weekly Lego clubs are currently being run and are suitable for children 4+ and families. Events are run at Central Library every Monday from 4.00 – 5.15 pm and North Ormesby Community Hub every Saturday from 10.00 -11.30 am. Flyers for each event are attached here: Central Library, North Ormesby
Debt Advice in Middlesbrough
Initial telephone debt advice is now available by calling Middlesbrough Citizens Advice directly on 01642 802282. Alternatively, the office can be visited Monday to Friday, and opening times and session details can be found here.
Stop Loan Sharks Community Funding 2018
The England Illegal Money Lending Team has funding available for groups that want to raise awareness of the issues of illegal money lending. For further information and to find out how to apply for funding click here.
Emergency Duty Team
New contact numbers for the emergency duty team are available here.
LINX Youth Clubs
LINX deliver weekly youth clubs across the Middlesbrough area and details can be found here of dates, times and venues.
Updates from our Colleagues
- Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families Update
- SCHOOLS NorthEast Weekly Update: Governors urged to pressure Government over funding crisis
- EEF News: Issue 46, 27 April 2018
- LMI Bulletin 20/4/2018
- Job opportunities in Newcastle, Whitley Bay and Durham City
- Upcoming jobs fairs in the region
- Plea for more offshore energy work in Tees Valley
- Gatsby benchmarks handbook
- Care workers pay
- Employment trends in the region
- LMI Bulletin 27/04/2018
- Job opportunities in Newcastle and Middlesbrough
- North East Business Awards
- Help for veterans
- ‘Zero-hours’ contracts – latest figures
- Access to work grants for people with disabilities
- Apprenticeship resources and latest select committee evidence on quality of apprenticeship
- MFC Foundation’s Stepping Up Project Year 2 Mini Review
- SCHOOLS NorthEast: April Events Update
- Middlesbrough Central Library: A special exhibition celebrating the influences from the East that have helped shape modern Middlesbrough has opened at the Central Library. The stories of the families and communities who settled in the town and built a life for themselves here are told through photographs, stories and artefacts. The East to North East – Celebrating Middlesbrough’s Migrant History exhibition is now running until Friday June 1. A flyer for the exhibition is available here
- Gov.uk: Data Protection toolkit for schools – Guidance to support schools with data protection activity, including compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Middlesbrough Environment City: Hearty BEATS Newsletter, April 2018
- Early Intervention Foundation: EIF News, April 2018
- Royal British Legion: Drop-in sessions at Middlesbrough Citizen Advice Bureau
- Inspire 2 Learn: Two to do! – Animation Festival & Tales of the Tees
- Governor Development Service are looking to recruit school Governors and Trustees to support children and schools across Middlesbrough. If you are interested please complete the application form attached here